Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Can I revise the contract?

I sent a text to my contractor's lovely wife, Erin, yesterday. After I signed off on the plans and wrote a check to the cabinet maker. The text said, "I bought cabinets!"

Or so I thought.

When my dear husband came home, I told him the 'good' news. Now, you have to remember, that nothing about this remodel is good news to his ears. It isn't that he is withholding all my joys, it isn't that he doesn't want me to have a beautiful space to cook and supervise homework, aka yell at the kids. He just doesn't want the hassle. He doesn't want his eating area to be demolished for 2 months. He doesn't want to wash dishes in the bathtub for 2 months. To my "good news," he said, "Really? I haven't really looked at the plans." To my credit, I showed it to him last week, after my fourth meeting with the cabinet guys. To his credit, I only showed it to him once. As he said, "We go back and forth at work at least 3-4 times about decisions at work."

Oh my goodness.

You have to know that he manages details for a living. The man builds software, and that, my dear readers, includes a whole lot of details that are constantly changing. He is also very rational and logical, and therefore, he does not like to rush.

That, is the opposite of me. I want to think about an issue, think about the pros and cons, make a decision, and just move on. This trait works for me at work. At my job, I just have to think things through, within 20 minutes or so, make some decisions, and go. Because humans are not robots, and I work with humans.

Getting cabinets made, though, is more like working with robots. You gotta make the best decision. There is no going back.

I sat there, and went through the plans with him, while he ate dinner. It felt a little like getting my homework checked by my mom. Although, actually, she never checked my homework. I am guessing that is what it would feel like. He had a few good suggestions, and some that made me think of words that would not be appropriate for me to use in public.

I e mailed the cabinet guys, and called them this morning. They pulled the cabinets off production. THEY WERE ABOUT TO DO SOMETHING TO MAKE THEM!

I am sure I am not the first person to have done this, nor will I be the last person to do this.

I will tell you tomorrow the actual issues with these cabinets.

No comments:

Post a Comment